VOLUNTEER WITH OCG
Here is a partial list of volunteer opportunities divided into seasonal gardening chores, and all year round tasks. Peas email email@example.com – subject line “Volunteer” if you can help in any of these areas.
NOTE: OCG Does not have a Volunteer Coordinator! Despite this, volunteers are invited to connect with gardeners around the city to self-organize direct gardening and other actions! If you’d like to bee a volunteer coordinator, contact us!
Spring Jobs: April and May
* Digging, moving and turning soil, preparing gardens
* Building raised beds, cold frames, greenhouses & other structures
* Starting and planting seeds/plants
Growing Season: May to September
* Planting / Transplanting
* Harvesting (food/seeds) + Distribution
* Staking tomato and other plants
* Turning compost pile
* Arts & Crafts : Sign Making for plants i.e: “Carrot Patch”
Harvest Season- September to October
* Harvesting + Distributing surplus food to The Sharing Place and other food programs
* Seed collection, saving, cleaning, sorting, packing for the Orillia Seed Library
* Help plan the garden “Harvest Celebration” potluck picnic
* Garden clean-up and preparation for the following season
* Fruit picking around Orillia with Fruit Share Orillia
Year Round Volunteer Roles:
1. Outreach- Tabling/representing Orillia Community Gardens at community events such as the Orillia Farmers Market on occasional Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 12:30.
2. Event Organizer- Creating and advertising events in the community such as: annual Seedy Saturday’s, educational workshops, film screenings, meetings, garden work bees, potluck picnics and more collaboration with diverse community partners.
3. Social Media & Communications- Administrating social media accounts on Facebook, twitter, blog and composing community garden email newsletters.
4. Master Gardeners- Experienced gardeners who can lead workshops, teach new gardeners, assess and support new gardeners.
5. Advocates- Supporting the ‘Orillia Food Council’ – to develop food and community garden projects and policies for the City of Orillia.
6. Printing- Creation of information brochures, print resources, flyers and posters
7. Fundraising/Resource Gathering – Grant writing, seeking funds and resources for specific projects
8. Seed Packing & Cleaning for the Orillia Seed Library
– Design and build garden infrastructure (sheds, raised beds, greenhouses, signage etc.)
– Drivers for car pooling, distribution of food and carrying tools and materials (especially needed is a trailer for delivery of compost and other large items)
All contributions are welcome and highly valued!